
MOGADISHU, Somalia (HornPost) Clashes erupted in Mogadishu’s Yaqshiid district after security forces moved to demolish homes in Tookiyo, with reports of deaths and injuries.
Clashes broke out in northern Mogadishu on Sunday after Somali security forces moved to demolish homes and remove residents from the Tookiyo neighborhood of Yaqshiid district, triggering protests and an armed confrontation with local residents.
Residents said security forces arrived in the area and ordered families to leave their homes ahead of planned demolitions, which authorities have linked to efforts to reclaim public land.
The operation prompted resistance from residents, with gunfire reported in the neighborhood as people protested against the forced evictions.
Local reports said the confrontation caused casualties, including at least one reported death and several injuries, although the overall toll remains unclear. The federal government has not publicly released a detailed account of the casualties.
The operation has renewed a wider controversy over land ownership, forced evictions and the demolition of homes in Mogadishu. Residents and opposition politicians have accused the government of using security forces to remove low-income families from land they have occupied, while authorities have previously said actions involving disputed plots are aimed at reclaiming public land.
Somalia Opposition Condemns Yaqshiid Operation
Former Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo strongly condemned the operation, describing what he called widespread land grabbing and the continued displacement of residents in the capital as a serious crisis.
Farmaajo called for an immediate halt to what he described as forced evictions and the use of government security institutions against civilians.
He also expressed solidarity with families whose homes had been demolished and residents displaced from their neighborhoods.
Former President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed also condemned the operation in Tookiyo, accusing the government of using national security forces to displace hundreds of families and seize their property.
Sharif said the army should be protecting citizens’ rights and dignity rather than being used against civilians.
Former Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire likewise criticized the government, saying the displacement of vulnerable families in Mogadishu represented a serious injustice.
Khaire accused the administration of using national forces and weapons intended for the fight against al-Shabab in operations against civilians.
Former President Abdikarim Hussein Guled also criticized the operation and called on the public to oppose what he described as unlawful displacement.
Land Dispute Fuels Tensions in Mogadishu
The latest confrontation comes amid growing disputes over land and property in Mogadishu, where government-led demolitions and evictions have affected several neighborhoods in recent weeks.
Residents in Yaqshiid have alleged that some of the disputed land is being sought for commercial purposes and could eventually be transferred to wealthy investors.
The federal government has maintained that measures involving public land are intended to protect and recover government property, while affected residents and opposition figures characterize the operations as forced displacement and unlawful land seizures.
The confrontation in Tookiyo adds to growing political tensions over land policy in Mogadishu and has intensified criticism of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud’s administration from opposition leaders.
The government has yet to provide a comprehensive public explanation of Sunday’s confrontation, including the reported casualties and the legal basis for the specific operation in Tookiyo.
Prepared by:
Horn Post Staff
Horn post staff
Horn Post Staff is a team of professional journalists and editors responsible for researching, writing, and publishing accurate, timely, and independent news coverage on HornPost.com. The team includes reporters based in Hargeisa, Mogadishu, Addis Ababa, and Nairobi, World, Africa, and middle east providing on-the-ground reporting and regional insights. Horn Post covers developments across Somaliland, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and the wider Horn of Africa, as well as major global news. All reporting is fact-based and produced in line with the organization’s editorial standards for accuracy, fairness, and independence. Articles published under the byline “Horn Post Staff” represent collaborative newsroom work or reports filed by correspondents whose individual bylines may not be used on the website. Abdikarim Saed Salah is the Editor and Founder of Horn Post, overseeing editorial direction, standards, and content across the platform.

